Saturday, February 16, 2008

My Perfect Day

I woke up this morning to a coffee-colored sky and the silence of snow. Big, fluffy snow falling slowly and gently. The kind of snow which appears on Hallmark cards and Campbell soup commercials. I woke up this morning among good company: Victor from Mexico, Frank from China and Tansu from Turkey. We devoted our morning to salubrious laziness. Remaining in our pajamas, we watched movies and made eachother laugh, with the occassional big-bellied guffaw that can only be exchanged between close friends. Venturing outdoors well past noon, encouraged by our growling stomachs, I suddenly realized why I love so much to travel--those things which may seem ordinary and familiar, such as snow and busy streets, have the power to transform into something new and mysterious once viewed in a different landscape: This morning I saw snow for the first time. It fell in soft, cottony chunks and collected upon buildings and the people like a temporary shadow.

As I now write to you, the sky has cleared and a darkness begins to envelop the city. I can hear music billowing from a scratchy radio across the street where a large crowd is gathered for a Kurdish wedding party. My perfect day has left me feeling nostalgic; though this may seem insensible to those who are reading this blog, I am currently yearning for the days of Chutes & Ladders and Candyland, drinking milk straight from the carton, the sound and smell of a Texas rainstorm, and those quips and quotes we accidentally stumble upon which make us feel invincible and inevitably changed.

"The greatest glory of living lies not in never falling, but in rising everytime you fall."
-Nelson Mandella

No comments: