Thursday, January 24, 2008

Recent Happenings

I have neglected to post on my whereabouts the past two weeks, here are the highlights:

1. Visiting a traditional Trukish hamam: This past weekend I went with all of the women in my family to a Turkish hamam, which is essentially a public bath. There I found women of all shapes and sizes cleansing themselves, relaxing and socializing.

This was a good opportunity to bond with some of the women in my extended family--none speak English so it was very funny trying to communicate to me what to do at the hamam! General etiquette: drench yourself with hot rose-scented water, exfoliate (it looked painful so I decided to pass), cleanse hair and body, wash away soapy suds, then relax for an hour or two.

2. My fortune in a Turkish coffee cup: Coffee has its own culture in Turkey, and fortune reading out of a coffee cup has been around for centuries! After drinking a cup of coffee, cover the cup with the upside-down saucer and swirl it three times in a clock-wise direction. Put it down and allow a few minutes for the coffee to settle. Turkish coffee is much different from the coffee we drink in the US. Coffee grinds are deposited at the bottom and a lot of sugar is added. Thus, the fortune is read using the residue left in a coffee cup. A fortune reader will look for symbols seen in the cup, and where the symbol is found within the cup gives a referance to time.

My fortune was read by Derya's aunt, she told me the following:
- I will fall in love with somebody who will not love me back
- After arriving in the United States I will move to another country
- I will find a good job but will have to work very hard
- Somebody in my family will get ill :(
- One day I will move back to Turkey

3. Salsaaaaaaa: I am learning how to dance salsa in Turkey, of all places! Last night was my first lesson at a local fitness center. I went with my Brazilian friend, Juliana, and a Turkish friend, Tansu. Tansu and I ended up inventing many of our own dance moves since neither of us knows any salsa! I plan to go again next week and impress all of you when I return to Colorado.

1 comment:

Kimberly said...

Brittany, you're certainly braver than me to go in the public bath. That must have been quite an experience! It does sound nice to relax for an hour or two though!

Your fortune is definitely interesting!

Love, Aunt Kim