Thursday, January 3, 2008

Working at TEGV




For 2 weeks I will be teaching English at TEGV in Bursa. TEGV is a non-profit that provides equal opportunity to access education for underprivileged children in Turkey. For more information you can access their website:
http://www.tegv.org/v2en/

My experience thus far at TEGV has far surpassed my expectations. My students are 11-12 years old and their energetic personalities have filled my days with joy and laughter! Lessons cover basic Eglish, such as greetings and expressing abilities or preferences. We also play games in English, the most popular being hangman! The children always pick a word that ends in ball.. such as basketball, football, volleyball, etc. This makes it very
hard to let them win, and when I attempt to let a child beat me they draw the most elaborate hangman with hair and facial features, so eventually I get bored intentionally picking the wrong letters and give up! The children are very excited to learn English and constantly competing with eachother to participate during class. They are very interested in me and are constantly asking questions about my life. One child wrote me a poem using the letters of my first name; something like: you are a rose, you are an angel from heaven, my heart skips a beat when I am near you... very impressive for an 11 year old and I am sure he will be quite the heartbreaker when he grows up!

2 comments:

Kimberly said...

Brittany, I think that 11 year old boy has a wee crush on you! It sounds like you are really enjoying working with the kids. I'm loving your blog!

Love, Aunt Kim

Cynthia Esgar said...

Dear Brittany,
I don't think the last comment went thru so I will repeat. It sounds like you are charming the kids where you are teaching....just your laugh alone will charm them. I'm curious as to how you are teaching them English. I think kids that age are like sponges and very eager to learn....
Miss you.
Love, Mimi & Granddaddy