Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Yılbaşı!

Happy New Years to all of my friends and family!

Where to start? Bursa is the fourth largest city in Turkey with a population of approximately 3 million. It sits beneath Uludağ mountain and is seperated by two physical regions: the valley (below) and steep hills. What I love most about Bursa is the deep history, visible in the buildings and the people, dating back to the Ottoman Empire.

I am living with a girl my age, Derya, and her family. Turkish people are very hospitable, thus it has been easy to adjust to life in Bursa. I will write more about family life in Turkey in future posts. Below is a picture of me with Derya and her boyfriend, Serkan, taken in the neighbouring city Mudanya.

I have had so many wonderful experiences these first few days. Yesterday was my first time visiting a mosque. Religion profoundly shapes Turkish culture, and the mosques in Turkey are among the most beautiful buildings I have seen in my life! This particular mosque, pictured below, is older than the founding of Christianity!

4 comments:

Bev said...

Happy New Year Brittany! What a wonderful way to start the New Year learning about another culture and living it! So proud of you...I love the pictures especially the sunset. Love, Mom

Cynthia Esgar said...

Dear Britt,
Happy New Year. I just sent you an e-mail and then noticed the blog...it's great...such a fun way to visit Turkey, via you.
You are loved.
Mimi

Kimberly said...

Brittany,

The whole family has enjoyed reading your blog. It sounds like you are having a wonderful, fulfilling time in Turkey!

Love, Aunt Kim

Candice said...

Happy New Year!
Brittany, I love your Blog! Your enthusiasm is contagious! I just knew that you would travel the world and share your sparkling personality. Dana misses you (I'm sure you know), but she is managing to keep distracted with her new BOYFRIEND...
Love from all in Colorado!
Candice